THE BARKSDALE THEATRE: THE FINAL YEARS

When I ran across Muriel McAuley's wonderful book about Barksdale "Going On" in 2004 (twenty years after it had been published), I decided to search the Richmond Times Dispatch archive for articles that might tell me the fate of that theatre since Nancy Kilgore's stroke in 1989, which was the beginning of the end.  Most of the articles were lovingly authored by my friend Roy Proctor, theatre critic supreme.

I include this within Tommy Brent's site, because he was a great admirer of their work.

The articles tell the tale:  I will only add that David "Pete" Kilgore passed away two years later on January 15, 2006, but fortunately I had the opportunity to visit with this great man before he left us. Of the original six who created Barksdale, he outlived them all, going to Heaven at age eighty.

Nancy Kilgore passed away at age 60; Muriel McAuley, at age 67.  The death date of Pete's first wife "Perky" Kilgore I could not ascertain, but the other two founders Stewart Falconer and Tom Carlin, passed away in 1993 (age 68) and 2000, respectively.  Falconer and Carlin along with a third gay man had successfully founded and operated a "west coast Barksdale" named Theatre 138 in Salt Lake for twenty-five years.

What all these people have in common is that they literally gave their lives to the theatre.

The story of the Barksdale would make a fine play, an epic drama enacted upon a postage stage-sized stage.  Perhaps the play could be performed on the stage up at Hanover Tavern.  All of the players were smokers, and I'm afraid current sentiment would not allow them to be properly portrayed, smoking no longer allowed in The House That Smoke Built.

 -- Bob Foreman, November 2016